In addition to quitting smoking and eating meat, I also got rid of my microwave 6 months ago. It started off pretty simple. I was tired of hearing, "You can't microwave styrofoam, it'll give you cancer." and, "You can't microwave cling wrap, it'll give you cancer." Finally I just decided maybe this microwave isn't such a good thing, after all. And you know what? Google it. I actually JUST did some research on it, and it's true--microwaves are unbelievably dangerous. I'm glad mine is gone and wish I had disposed of it earlier.
I'll save you some time. Here's a summary of some results from Russian tests. (Russia, by the way, banned microwave ovens in 1975. I added the bold-face type.)
- Microwaving prepared meats sufficiently to insure sanitary ingestion caused formation of d-Nitrosodienthanolamines, a well-known carcinogen. (Causes cancer.)
- Microwaving milk and cereal grains converted some of their amino acids into carcinogens. (Causes cancer.)
- Thawing frozen fruits converted their glucoside and galactoside containing fractions into carcinogenic substances. (Causes cancer.)
- Extremely short exposure of raw, cooked or frozen vegetables converted their plant alkaloids into carcinogens. (Causes cancer.)
- Carcinogenic free radicals were formed in microwaved plants, especially root vegetables. (Causes cancer.)
- Decrease in nutritional value (May result in decreased immunity.)
My New Year's resolution is to keep doing what I'm doing. Stay healthy, take more vitamins... (side note, ladies, you only have until age 30 to build bone density. So if you aren't taking 1000 mg of Calcium plus D, you should start! I try to take mine every day, but can be forgetful.)...eat more veggies, and definitely get more exercise. I want to finally get my dream bike and start going on at least one bike ride a week. Ideally, I'd like to join the yoga class that's next door to me, too, but that could get costly.
And, you know, the usual. Write more, edit more, submit more, get published. At least ONE thing. (But you know, two would be great. If I could double my numbers every year? It'd be pretty sweet.) Get into that awesome creative writing college. Do well in work and school.
...and get better about mailing packages.
(Seriously though, the universe is aligning against me mailing this package. The post office is closed when I leave for work and closed when I return home. I was snowed in on Monday, so that was no good. I went to the post office Tuesday on my lunch break and guess what? CLOSED. I even took a photo of it. Wednesday I had to work (I usually have it off and mail all packages on Wednesday!) and I was supposed to get out early today & was glad I could finally make it to the post office, but NOPE. Ended up staying at work until 5:30. I'm going to walk down to the post office tomorrow, but I bet it's going to be closed due to the holiday.)
Anyway. I'm trying. And very sorry. :(