Now that I've submitted my final paper and I have a week to relax before the next term begins, I figured I'd -finally- sit down and write out my "15 in 15" list. Here we go!
1. Experience "dark dining." This is one of those things I've been wanting to do for years, but no one has ever been interested in doing it with me. Well, whatever. I'll go alone this year, if necessary! It is what it sounds like: you eat dinner in a completely pitch black restaurant. Usually the waiters wear night vision goggles, but sometimes they're blind. The idea is that by dining in the dark, your other senses become heightened. It might make for a messy meal, but I'd love to try it just once.
2. Get a literary agent. Of course, I've been trying to reach this goal for a couple years now. However, I'm scheduled to finish my MG novel this year, and I think it might make a better debut vehicle. Perhaps my women's fiction novel will be published afterwards. Either way, I hope this year is the year! Which brings me to...
3. Finish my MG novel. Pretty straightforward!
4. Graduate with distinction in September. Again, pretty straightforward! Only five more classes stand between me and my master's degree!
5. Complete LASIK eye surgery. I got my right eye done in 2014, and I have my left eye scheduled for late this month. Totally psyched to be able to toss out my contacts for good!
6. Lose 10 more pounds. I lost ten pounds on Atkins in 2014 and managed to keep it off. I'd be totally happy to just lose an additional 10 this year.
7. Write -something- every day, no matter how insignificant it may seem. This was actually my New Years resolution; I'm trying to get in the habit of setting some time aside to write every day. I was doing great for January, mostly doing a lot of journaling late at night. Hopefully I can keep it up.
8. Hold a successful poetry/fiction reading at the bookstore. This one is sort of out of my hands: the bookstore isn't open at night...and won't be, until someone installs a security gate. I may have to look into other venues.
9. Attend the Juniper Institute. I was super excited to find out I had been accepted into the UMass Juniper Institute for the summer! It's my first ever writing conference (I don't really count AWP or Goddard, although they had similar elements) so I'm really pumped and can't wait to get started! And it starts on my birthday, too!
10. Publish AT LEAST one short story, one personal essay, and one poem. (I'm just now noticing that lot of my goals this year are writing related!)
11. Finish editing and posting Final Departure on Wattpad. I'm up to chapter eleven, I believe...I have quite a way to go! Once I'm finished with that, I want to have it bound by a vanity press. I won't make it public, though, I just want to have a bound copy for myself!
12. Travel...somewhere! Ideally, I'd like to go to Scotland with Shaun this year, but I'm not sure if we'll be able to pull it off. We'll see. If not, obviously I'd still like to get to Europe. Maybe around Christmastime when I get a huge amount of time off from work!
13. Pay down all my credit cards so I'll be ready to (yuck) start paying toward my student loans after graduation. BLAH. Can we talk about things I'm not looking forward to? Yeah, student loans. Gross.
14. Create something profitable. I haven't really ironed out the kinks on this yet. I started making an online course to sell, but I haven't finished it, so I guess my goal is to finish it and start marketing myself just a bit better. Ideally I'd like to have at least two courses--or one course and a workbook--completed before the year is out.
15. Get some business cards. I got asked for my business card for the first time yesterday and had nothing to give the person! Time to make some! I just got some professional head shots taken yesterday, so once I get those, I'll get crackin'.
As you can see, these are mostly professional goals this year. What are your goals for 2015?